I have a e92 that came with no key and was told it had a bad engine
Did compression on old engine, and it barely made any
Replaced engine with reman unit
DME had no coding and the engine would crank, but not start
Tried to code and sync
same result
Tried to learn new key first time programming any CAS3+
Cleared faults, reset ECU, clear faults again
read ISN do a bunch of stuff mindlessly not realizing this isnt some chysler easy crap I am used to working on
broke everything to the point of having to restore bin to get engine to crank again
no start

Removed CAS module assembly (with the ribbon cable and ignition module)
Removed DME
Removed electronics junction box module
off to the bench

wired CAS k-can to JBE
wired pt-can to JBE
both lead to OBD connector

I'm using alldata wiring diagram and there are some discrepancy to them
does the cas receive terminal 30 for power and out put terminal 15 sig to DME to boot DME?
does JBE need to be powered to allow CAS & DME to communicate?

old key reads locked, couldnt find a way to unlock
2 new aftermarket keys on hand

2011 BMW 328xi Coupe AWD (E92) L6-3.0L (N52K)
Manual tranmission

wired:
obd pin 3 &11 - ptcan L & H
obd pin 4 &5 - ground
obd pin 12 & 13 - kcan L & H
obd pin 16 13.5v

no communcations :crushed:

brend
19th November, 2019, 09:03 AM
Load ecu and cas dump.

crankycarl
21st November, 2019, 12:32 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm trying to build a harness to run the 3 modules on a test bench.
I talked to a BMW tech today that said if there was a problem in the cas3+ security that the engine wouldn't even crank over
The problem is I'm not getting any fuel, and I figured from the codes in the picture below it had something to do with the immobilizer

techterr
21st November, 2019, 05:57 AM
If the CAS and DME are not synced, or have different ISN's, then you can program all the keys in the world to the cas, but it will just crank and not start... We have had a few of these lately.. the latest one was rather funny, had spark, but no fuel.. the car had been sitting for awhile, it had 2 bad injectors that were causing none of the injectors to open...

techterr
21st November, 2019, 06:00 AM
your anti tampering is when someone tries to read or program a key to the CAS... this is how we do this with AVDI, first make sure the DME and CAS have the same ISN, then clear all the errors, then do it again, then disconnect battery for at least an hour, overnight is better, then hookup battery, clear errors, then sync DME to CAS...

looneyman
21st November, 2019, 04:23 PM
techterr is correct.
One time I had anti tampering and the DME was bad and I had to replace it.

crankycarl
22nd November, 2019, 04:01 AM
Wow thanks a lot for the tip. I will try that tomorrow and post back.

I still can't wrap my head around why I can not communicate with these modules with my bench harness.
I had a extra GM cluster hanging around so I decided to try and wire a harness for it and was able to change the mileage and communicate just fine.

I looked at dme to obd harnesses and it looks like they are just using 12 power,12v wake-up, ground, canH and canL
with a resistor soldered to the headers of the can bus wires at the obd connector
Yet mine does nothing trying to communicate with the vci of my IM608
I know it might seem stupid that I'm trying to make this harness instead of buying one,
and not just getting the job done
but I'm trying to figure out what all I don't know.
Browsing these forums and looking at all the complex procedures as a mechanic and not a electrical engineer is kind of mind blowing

I've been skimming pages and pages of forums here and there and all over the place.
Either I'm missing the answer or its not really here.
I'm a couple of days in and at this point I can't stop until its a pile of scrap (and I have to get new modules and try again) or figure out how to install the package in that car and just hit the key to go.

crankycarl
22nd November, 2019, 04:37 AM
Load ecu and cas dump.

when you say load are you telling me to upload them to the forum?
as far as the dumps, I think this can be saved via OBD with the autel im608?
or do I need to desolder the eeprom like I did with my GM cluster and upload that?

I'm a couple of years behind you I think and dont really understand sorry

geeroam
23rd November, 2019, 01:40 PM
Dump the cas, you dont need to remove processor you can read it incircuit zip the dump the upload it, and dont listen to what BMW technicians say what they can do and what we can do very different

crankycarl
23rd November, 2019, 10:53 PM
Dump the cas, you dont need to remove processor you can read it incircuit zip the dump the upload it, and dont listen to what BMW technicians say what they can do and what we can do very different
how do I dump the cas though?
my programmer has options for 2 different processors
should I open up the module and identify one of the two options and follow the instructions for reading eeprom and flash?

I did try leaving the car with the terminals off and everything plugged back in overnight to no aval
I tried several more time clearing the anti-tamper and 1 hour reboots, while i installed a remote starter on a friends truck
tried to do a cas/dme sync, returns operation failed
add key through guided programmer
key slot 3 shows valid, same crank/no start condition
read engine isn: FAAAF94C3C1B36A98CB9625FAA1965
read cas DME ISN: 820601349064639A51F4159A2706E11D
I think what happened was someone replaced the DME to fix an issue, they thought it was a plug and play deal
the car one way or another went to auction as having a bad engine because of the crank but not start condition
someone at the auction tried to program a new key to it that wasn't even a key with buttons
my boss bought it and thought the engine was low compression because of timing issue
I replaced the engine and nothing changed

crankycarl
24th November, 2019, 03:13 AM
I was able to get communication with my bench harness to the JBE and CAS but still havent figured out why the DME is no communicating
scrolling through functions give me to option to change ISN
Im assuming this is why I need the dump from the CAS?
looks like i job for my morning coffee

Thanks for all the help guys I will try and post it in the morning if I can keep a steady hand

crankycarl
24th November, 2019, 05:35 AM
my programmer gave me the option to read eeprom and read flash and produced these 2 files